Sunday, March 21, 2010

Meet Lea Schizas!

      Meet Lea Schizas! She's an author, editor, founder of several awardwinning websites and eZines. A short trip to Ms. Schizas's website - http://www.leaschizas.com/ - will show you all you need to know. She has something for everyone in terms of writing, books like Bubba & Giganto: Odds Against Them, Doorman's Creek, The Carpathian Shadows: Volume One, and her newest children's book I Don't Want A Haircut (coming soon) are of these are great examples of the different age groups she writes in. There are also many other titles she has co-authored, so be on the lookout for those.

     In her own words, this is what Lea has to say about her writing career: "Although I feel as old as the Acropolis at times, I started writing way back in my mom's womb, where I mistook the umbilical cord for some cool writing implement. Guess we all have to start at some place so why not at the very beginning, right?


     I am referred as 'Mother Hen' and funny enough, it's not from my five kids but from writers in my writing groups. I have a tendency of 'mothering, scolding, pushing' many writers back on track when they feel they've lost their writing path. So Mother Hen isn't such a bad name after all. I know my kids have referred to me with a bit more color let's say.

     I write in various genres but seem to go back to the Young Adult target group. This age group is so full of spunk and dare you just never know what the characters will do next and that is why I love to write and have a teen as my main character. Also, it keeps me young.

     Some of my favorite authors are: Stephen King, Nora Roberts, Robert Ludlum, J. K. Rowling

     Tune in to my Writing Jungle blog and catch up with my writing career, step by step goal plan on how a mother of five got to the stage she's at right now."

    To learn more about Lea stop by one of her many websites, most are listed on her main website - http://www.leaschizas.com
Thanks for reading!

15 comments:

Carolyn Howard-Johnson said...

Lea, I just read a Nora Roberts novel for the first time. (Can you believe?) I prefer literary material but it was entertaining. The thing is, I think we should all attempt to read authors in different genres. They all have something to teach us.
Best,
Carolyn Howard-Johnson
Author of a new $6.95 booklet on tricky homonyms, www.budurl.com/WordTrippersPB

Karen Cioffi said...

THANKS, Heather!

Lea's an amazing woman. I think she stole the energizer bunny's batteries! :)

Karen Cioffi said...

Carolyn, I agree. I seem to have been stuck on children's books and nonfiction lately. But, when I find the time, I'll include the books I read years ago, romance, sci-fi, etc.

Kari Wolfe said...

Great job, Heather! I personally wonder if Lea ever manages to sleep. ;) She is definitely amazing.

Vivian Zabel said...

I read genres I really don't care for as the head of 4RV, but good writing is good writing. Bad writing just stinks no matter what the genre.

Unknown said...

I loved Lea's YA novel, Bubba and Giganto! I can't wait to see new picture book, I Don't Want a Haircut!

Rena Jones said...

Love the 'Mother Hen" name. I think we all need someone to keep us on track.

Martha said...

Lea, Great website. I can't wait to go back and explore some more.
Martha

Janet Ann Collins said...

Good interview.

Anonymous said...

Mother He. That's great. SOmetimes people need to be scolded as well as cuddled. I'm thankfule when people giveme the good, the bad, and the ugly. Helps make me a well rounded person.

Stephen Tremp

The Old Silly said...

"I mistook the umbilical cord for some cool writing implement."

Really? Cuz I thought I was the only one who'd made that cool assumption.

LOL, loved the short but entertaining feature. And Stephen King AND Nora Roberts? Quite the range, hmm? My wife loves Roberts, me I'm not big on the romance novels, and while King is a bit gory for me, I'm a big fan and a disciple of his writing style - love and study his book, "On Writing."

Marvin D Wilson

Katie Hines said...

I've been on the receiving end of dear Mother Hen's words, and have been thankful for it, and a better writer for it. Lea, you rock!

Dallas said...

I love how you describe the YA genre: "This age group is so full of spunk and dare and you just never know what the characters will do next." I also love writing YA. It's such a fun age group!

Thanks Heather and Lea!

Helena Harper said...

Very interesting, post - thank you Heather and Lea!

Lea, I never knew you were a mother of 5! How do you do that and everything else as well? Superwoman just doesn't seem to come close. Your new novel has a most intriguing title - care to give us a little hint about what it's about?

Helena

Accountant, Author & Freelance Writer said...

Great interview! It was fun to learn more about you and your writing.